2008-10-07

I'm 3L!

I overslept. I thought I'd be at the lab in the morning - I wasn't. It wasn't even near morning any more - noon has already passed. I woke up too late, then met up some old residents (they've been here since April! April!!!) and asked them about various things they knew and I didn't, like where to get briefs in my size (go ahead, laugh, but it's a problem! and not just mine - the guys are stick thin, but are a head taller than average Japanese, so they sent me to a big people clothes shop they knew, whose street sign has a rather large jolly old gentleman wearing a suit), and what's the best solution for a TV (namely, get a PSP, then go to Akiba to buy a One-Seg USB trinket for peanuts, and if this didn't mean anything to you, it's fine, you haven't missed anything important).

So when I finally got my 3L ass to the lab, I found out a bit more about a book circle. I have no clue any more if I said anything about it yet, so, at the risk of repeating myself, I'll describe it, possibly again. I was told it would be good to join a reading group, and that a rather basic one has just formed couple of weeks ago, and I could go with them. Basically, if I understood correctly, they meet twice a week, and the guy whose turn it is explains two chapters that he has read to the other two guys, who haven't. Now that I'm joining, they're very happy, because English was not their strong point - at least not for the two people I talked to. Not sure who the third member is yet. But anyway, they asked me if I could read English, and were quite impressed when I replied in the affirmative. Fun times.

So I copied my book (even with a hi-tek copier, it took more than an hour, I think), and then dozed and read, in alternation, trying to read at least as much as I dozed, because it was hot and stuffy and some of you probably know what happens to me without proper cooling. If you don't, it's the same thing that happens to a CPU in similar conditions - I overheat, start glitching, and finally shut down.

I'm wondering if anything is seriously wrong with me, because I sweat like a pig here. (I don't really know how much pigs sweat, and you will probably understand better than if I wrote "like a chocolate", for who ever leaves chocolate alone long enough to notice? Also, my girth makes the comparison applicable.) Every day when I come home I'm completely soaked. And it's supposed to be autumn, most comfortable season in Tokyo.

Yeah, pretty much it for today. Came home, read the book. The reading party has gone six levels... sorry, wrong game: six chapters, which means I have about 200 pages to catch up to till tomorrow. I've read some already, and I'll read some tomorrow, and it's mostly stuff I know, so far, so it shouldn't really be a herculean task (can you even use "herculean" for reading?). However, I won't upload this till tomorrow, because the lounge is crowded with people waiting for one of the three surviving cables (one has bit the bullet; kicked the bucket; gone to cable heaven), and I don't feel like budging from my room again.

I got some more pics of drinks I tried. "Kanjiru Mango" instructed me to feel this full-bodied drink, while Welch's Grapefruit 100 said it was a healthy squeeze.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pigs do have a few sweat glands, but they're not very useful for temperature adjustment. When the mercury rises on the farm, Wilber wallows in cool water or mud, which has the same evaporation effect as sweating :)