2008-10-27

Gingko

I have a bit of time, so I thought I'd just mention something that has been bugging me for a while, and I never remembered to put it in. The official plant of U-Tokyo is gingko.

I hate gingko.

And so does everyone else I've talked to.

Why? Because the campus is full of them. And their fruit, as it is in an institution of higher learning and not in an orchard, falls to the ground, unpicked. And then it starts to smell... "real bad", as the Americans would say it. And since they're in almost every street, you can't help but walk through the Stinking Cloud.

There is even a biohazard team who cleans up the mess. Okay, so they're just poor cleaning crew, but I pity da foos!

Basically, gingko trees are like cluster-bombs, filled with mean bomblets of yuck.

A numberless footnote: Actually, gingko fruit is edible, and some people even come to the campus to pick some. Not enough, in my opinion. For my sanity's sake, folks, come to Todai and get yourselves some fruit! Please!

1 comment:

fnord said...

You could pick it up and export it to Croatia - probably VERY lucrative bussiness, which pays twice - once for the removal of the stinking fruit, another time for the selling of the same fruit to natural-born losers back home.